Friday, January 15, 2010

Dear Ego

Dear Ego
By Benjamin Herrington


Dear Ego,

    It is with great difficulty and regret that I find myself writing this letter. After years of companionship, I have arrived at the conclusion that I must, regrettably, end our association. It’s not you, it’s me. Well, to be perfectly honest, you do bear a certain degree of responsibility.

    When, as a child, you convinced me that flight was not only possible, but that it was my god given right, you were, in fact, wrong. In high school, your insistence that I was the most attractive and most eligible bachelor ensured a certain state of solitude, lasting for four solid years. When I graduated, you convinced me that I was too smart for college. You were, I fear, wrong again.

    Throughout the course of our relationship, I have encountered a number of preventable hardships, each of which were explained away, by you, as minor set-backs or other people’s problems. As much as I have appreciated your undying confidence in me, I cannot escape the idea that I might be better off without you.

    I’m sure that you’re sure that you’ll find someone new quite easily. Your charisma knows no boundary. Someone, somewhere, needs you.

    Farewell, my dear Ego. As you already know, our time together has been wonderful, but as they say ‘all good things must come to an end,’ and so must our affiliation with each other. I wish you the best in all of your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment